Important Back to School Info
Monday, August 2, 6:00-7:00 pm
Open House: PreK-8th Grade
Thursday, August 5, 6:00-8:00 pm
First Day of School
Tuesday, August 10
Tuesday, August 10, 7:45-8:30 am, in the Gym
- PK-4th is a drop-in style open house from 6:00-8:00 pm.
- 5th-8th Rotations are from 6:00-7:00 pm. Start at 6:00 pm. in your student’s homeroom.
- 5th-8th Will also offer a drop-in style open house will be from 7:00-8:00 pm.
- Get valuable info on Athletics, Music, ACE, ESS, etc. You can also buy your PE shirts!
- Office is open to assist with any payments or questions.
- Both labs are open for parents of grades 3-8 to set up your CANVAS accounts. Structured tutorials are offered at 7:00 and 7:15 pm as well.
- We invite you to use #myflecopenhouse when posting your pictures to social media. Don’t forget to TAG Forest Lake Education Center on Facebook.
Any outerwear that is worn at FLEC must conform to the following standards:
- All Lands’ End jackets with a FLEC logo are acceptable wear for school.
- All other jackets, including organization jackets, must be approved by FLEC administration.
- A plain, long-sleeved, shirt may be worn underneath the approved short-sleeved uniform in the following colors: Cobalt Blue, Navy, White, Hunter Green, Gray(s).
- FLEC logo shirts must be worn at all times under approved outerwear.
- Blankets and hoodie sweatshirts/jackets are not an acceptable form of outerwear.
- Non-Lands’ End coats or winter jackets, with or without hoods, may be worn outside when temperatures are below 60 degrees. Hoods will be allowed for outdoor wear when temperatures are below 60 degrees.
TOPS FOR 5TH GRADE
Short or long-sleeved T-shirts will no longer be allowed from start of school until Christmas Break. Short-sleeved polo or long-sleeved polo shirts with FLEC logo are required in grades 5 through 8 and purchased through Lands’ End.
Kris Harter – 6th Grade Teacher
Erica Dalley Vasquez – 1st Grade Teacher
- 6th and Newly Enrolled 7th-8th students: Please view the video, fill out the Confirmation AND iPad Agreement forms.
- Returning 7th-8th students: Please complete the Acceptable Use form.
MORNING CARE HOURS
Monday-Friday: Beginning at 6:30am
AFTER CARE HOURS
Friday: Dismissal – 5:00pm
Morning Care: Mon-Fri, $5 per Child
After School Care: Mon–Thurs, $8 per Child
Fridays, $12 per Child
$1 per minute after 6:05, Mon-Thurs; 5:05, Fridays
Monday-Thursday, snack is served at 4:00pm
A pizza lunch and snacks are provided on Fridays. Lunch is served at 12:30pm and snack at 3:30pm
Frequently Asked Questions
Academic Course Enrichment (ACE) Acceptance Guidelines: Grades 1-5
ACE is a once-a-week, pull-out program designed to support our gifted and talented students. Students in ACE spend time in a separate classroom where they participate in learning activities that are intended to stretch them as individuals. There are no grades attached to this program. Communication from the ACE teacher will focus on what students are learning in the classroom.
Grade 1—Students participate in ACE starting second semester for one half day a week.
Grades 2-5—Students participate in ACE one full day a week throughout the school year.
Identifying Potential ACE Students
Potential students for ACE are identified in a variety of ways.
- School staff recommendations of current FLEC students
- Parent requests
- Documentation of prior gifted eligibility from a previous school. (These students do not need further testing.)
Process for Placement
- Parents are contacted for permission to administer the IQ test.
- Students are assessed by the Education Support Services (ESS) department.
- Test results are reviewed by the ACE committee.
- Parents are notified of the committee’s decision.
ACE criteria is designed to look at the needs of the whole child. Consequently, grades and classroom performance are not the only criteria for acceptance.
- Gifted Rating Scale
- The GRS is filled out by the classroom teacher. It highlights five areas of giftedness: intellectual ability, academic ability, creativity, artistic talent, and leadership.
- School-wide Standardized Assessments
- DiBELS (K-2)
- NWEA Map (3-8)
- IQ Test
- KBIT—FLEC score requirements generally follow Seminole County guidelines for student acceptance into a gifted program. An IQ composite of 130 is considered gifted.
- Any other industry standard IQ test administered by the public school system, FLEC’s ESS department, or a private licensed phycologist.
- IQ testing must follow test guidelines in order to be valid.
Participation in ACE is a privilege. All students are expected to exhibit positive behaviors in the ACE classroom. They must be willing to participate in all the learning experiences and contribute to the classroom environment.
FLEC continues to monitor the physical and emotional health of our school community. Safety protocols will continue such as sanitizing, hand washing stations, air filtration systems, zone cleaning in classrooms, and sneeze guards when appropriate. In conjunction with central Florida school districts: masks are optional but encouraged for all students, staff, and visitors.