A few weeks back FLEC had its first Town Hall Meeting of the year. Although there were not a lot of parents in attendance, the discussion was really good. It was suggested that there be some form of communication from administration that just “kept people up” with what was going on at school. I’ve always tried to be purposeful in what I say and do. I don’t like sending out 200 emails a week because my emails then become unimportant to the reader. In the discussion we came up with the thought of a principal’s blog. Not an everyday note or even a once a week note, but something more of a regular update of what is going on at the school. With that, here it goes. Every few weeks I will be posting a blog that you can access through the FLEC website. If you have a subject that you want “blogged on”, please email me and let me know.
- I waited till today to send this because the first part of the blog is BIG! After 48 years of teaching and 39 years here at FLEC, Mr. Broome is retiring at the end of the year. Thanks, Mr. Broome for all you’ve done.
- Home & School has worked diligently on an electronic sign. The goal is a January set-up!
- We recently did a survey of the parents and students at FLEC. We like what we hear. Overall, parents and students feel that Jesus Christ is being presented to them on a daily basis. They feel that the adults at FLEC care for kids and that the students are receiving a good education.
- One of the “desires” that came out of the survey is the need for a building that houses a cafeteria/music/early childhood. We agree. The board and administration are having some good conversations on what is the next step for the campus.
- I’ve just returned from Collegedale where our kids represented FLEC well in a basketball tournament. The boys came in first place while the girls placed third. The kids were fantastic and had a great time.
- FLEC is blessed with so many wonderful opportunities for students. Musical groups, sports teams, robotics, Spanish, Art, and Drama all enhance the school’s program. The addition this year of Josh Stafford as our Director of Spiritual Enrichment has helped to add one more layer of these opportunities. Students and staff alike are taking on a spirit of doing and giving for others. Mr. Stafford has connected us with the churches, Florida Hospital/AHS, and the community in a wonderful way that allows our school community to serve others the way God intended. The future only looks bright.
Have a great Holiday Season. Enjoy friends and family, and we look forward to 2017 and all of the great things that will continue to take place here at FLEC.
Chris Juhl, Principal
Forest Lake Education Center